Monday, August 15, 2011

A WEEK IN MUMBAI - I

25th July 2011 : The fourth mumbai trip was scheduled for 25th july. The trip was fixed on 9th june this year. My maa prepared her luggage 2 days in advance but I always have the habit of packing my stuff the night before the journey. My logic was to keep the momentum going. By packing the luggage the night before it occurs to me that by sunrise my journey time would come closer! A mental satisfaction for me. My maternal grandmother is always worried that we may miss out on something. My to-do-list was just right and we reached airport 1 hour prior to departure. After all the necessary clearances our flight took off at 3.25pm on 25th july. We reached kolkata an hour later. We had some refreshments and walked to the security check area. The second flight took off at exact 6pm and we landed at mumbai at 8.15pm local time, 15 mins prior to schedule. The plane passes at 32,000 feet altitude above the dark grey clouds from which the thunder blazes down towards the earth. The plane was travelling way above and the white streaks of light thundering down is a marvel to watch from within the glass panes. While the plane was to land at the airport just a minute from touchdown I saw that the runway was fully wet. The landing was a bit rough and most of the times a slippery runway becomes a cause for great concern for the safety of the passengers.


We collected our luggage and I stood in queue for a prepaid cab. I was informed that I have to purchase the ticket and wait for another half an hour as due to heavy downpour most of the cabs are somewhere out on the road enroute airport. Luckily, going by the clock our cab came within 20 mins and we boarded it and went towards our hotel. The car speeded through the freeway as due to heavy downpour some 30 mins back half the traffic is standing in shelters stil and waiting for a cab/bus to go home. Whenever a traffic signal brought us to a halt, the red rear light of each vehicle glowing at once along the freeway is a sight to watch (ofcourse you should be able to imagine beauty in everything you see!) After 40 mins we reached our destined place and after freshening up and a light dinner, it seemed that the first phase of the journey was over.




Prasenjit©1997-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment