Friday, May 13, 2011

HANDICAP - 2

I travel alone as because I dislike the idea that somebody would be my constant companion only because I am a disabled person. I was born here so I am acquainted with every change that occurred in this town till in different parts. A taxi driver of our locality used to pick me up whenever he would see me on the road. Today was no exception. I was dropped in front of the railway station. Our town though small carries lots of passengers from here to the nearby cities. Whenever I go out alone I carry plenty of coins. It helps in paying the fare as I can feel the value of the coin from its touch. It saves me from the unnecessary embarrassment of getting an unknown person’s sympathy. I got myself a ticket, took the sideway stairs and waited amongst the already growing crowd. The train arrived at 6:30 am. The beep of my electronic watch indicated that the train was at the right time. I understood the direction of rush of the passengers as the train halted. I moved in the direction of the wave. I went inside and perchance seeing my old age a person spoke out, “You can sit by the window.” Looking in the direction of the voice I said, “Sure, thank you.” I sat down relaxed.

My smell and touch sensation have become stronger from the time I lost my vision. My eyes are not deformed like many other blind people and this saves me from the trouble of wearing black specs. Whenever I travel by train, I try to get the corner window as it gives a good excuse of looking outside and avoid direct contact with other commuters. For me lesser talk is having the lesser chance of making known my physical deformity and consequently lesser chance of embarrassment. I slid down the glass shutter as the wind was very cold. The train whistled and with a mild jerk started its journey. A tea vendor was in the compartment. A cup of tea with ginger flavour is always of my liking. Someone from my right side called the tea vendor. The vendor was preparing tea when I added, “One for me also.” I opened the zip of the jacket and took out a two rupee coin and gave it to the vendor when he gave me the tea cup. I was looking towards the paddy fields while sipping tea. I was about to throw the cup when the same generous voice said, “Please do not trouble your self. You give it to me, I will throw it.” As is the custom I said, “Thank you very much.” “Oh no, it is completely my pleasure”, the person said. To keep the conversation alive I looked in the direction from where the voice came before and said, “Where do you live?” “Reabganj, the station before yours”, he said. I asked, On asking his name he said his name was Amar. On being asked where his destination is the person said, “To Agra, as my exams are scheduled to start in a few days.” I understood that he was a student. “So Amar, what are you studying at present?” He replied, “M.Sc...” Before he could finish I exclaimed, “M.Sc in Chemistry.” Amar on the contrary said, “I am studying Physics; I do not like Chemistry.” He asked me why the name of chemistry struck my mind. I said to amar that it was my son’s favourite subject. My mind recoiled back to the days when Bhargav would write letters to his mother saying how he missed us both. Shanti being a teacher always hided her feelings saying sternly, “Career first and the rest afterwards.” She did this to motivate Bhargav, who understood the importance of career building. Just when it was the time to return home and be with us, we missed Bhargav forever. My mind was going through the trauma of Bhargav’s death in sleep.


Contd...P/3

No comments:

Post a Comment