Monday, May 16, 2011

THE NIGHT HALT - 3

The doctor knew that he worked in Muscat in an MNC firm, so surely he had the habit of taking wines. The doctor kept in famous varieties of wines of different countries. The doctor offered him cogniac. He told the doctor that he is not used to it. The doctor did not believe that at first, but then he was not able to tell the doctor NO straight in the face, so in the end he agreed for a small sip. Dr. Ajitesh enquired if he would like to take dinner now. He was a bit astonished as it was only 7 O’clock at night. The doctor said that the custom of the forest is to sleep by 8 O’clock at night. He requested for a light dinner as the evening toast was still halfway through digestion. The food was ready which indicated that the doctor always cooks extra food. He asked, ‘Don’t you have a helper for your household chores.’ The doctor said, ‘I have a servant, but I prefer to cook my own food. Even during my student days at the Medical College I used to cook food for six other students at the mess. So, that habit stayed with me.’ He helped him in bringing the plates from the kitchen to the dining cum study table. He found that he had a habit of eating his food very quickly. He said him once or twice to eat slowly as it helps in digestion quickly. Dr. Ajitesh said that, ‘I eat quickly as I am not sure when in the night I may get an emergency call in a far off place.’ The doctor suddenly asked me, ‘Do you believe in spirits?’ He was speechless by fright. He was not ready to let the host think that he has such a fear in his mind. So trying to evade a direct answer and looking in a different direction he said, ‘Well then do you believe in the same?’ The doctor turned around and with a witty smile said, ‘Very clever Subha, very clever. Well Subha, if you really want to know then let me tell you that it depends on the situation concerned.’ The doctor shrugged his shoulders as if he was brooding in depth on a certain incident.

The doctor poured some more wine, took his own glass and stood up from his chair and looked towards the floor. The dim light fell on his face and showed that he had more wrinkles on his face then his age. He thought that perhaps the doctor was concentrating deeply on some incident. He cautiously sat back on his rocking chair, kept the glass on the table with the slightest sound. Looking at him he said, ‘do you know Subha that the incident that I am going to relate is me being partially a witness and the rest is what I have heard. Being a student of science, I never believed in things unnatural or unexplainable, but now I have to believe.’ He could feel the fear gripping on him. He spoke out boldly to his doctor friend that neither does he believe in supernatural happenings nor in life after death. The doctor stood up and his eyes followed his footsteps. While thinking perhaps what to start with the doctor came near him and filled his already empty glass. He was a bit stunned as he did not realize when he had emptied the wine glass. The doctor said, ‘Subha you are bound to believe after my incident is told that there exists something beyond vision, beyond imagination.’ Dr. Ajitesh asked, ‘What year is this?’ Without losing time he said, ‘1968.’ ‘Yes, it is true this year is 1968 and the incident happened twelve years back’, said the doctor.


Contd...P/4

No comments:

Post a Comment