Friday, May 13, 2011

HANDICAP - 5

The watch beeped again at 7.00 am. I knew that Agra would be just minutes away. So, in a matter of would be tone I said blankly, “We are near to Agra.” On hearing this a commuter responded by trying to bring the baggage from top of the bunk as he also said his wife to get hold of their boy’s hand tightly as there would be a good deal of rush. Our rhythmic swaying stopped as the train was slowing up while entering the station. After the train halted, I felt my surroundings getting empty as people were getting off the train. I was intentionally the last person in the queue, for obvious reasons. My luggage is a small briefcase containing some official documents related to my pension. It was on my lap from the start of the journey. I sensed that Sheela was still sitting on the bench. She didn’t move. I feared that I may collide with her and my disability may come to the forefront. While I was deciding what to do, Sheela stood up and was about to walk towards the exit when she tripped on something and fell to the floor. Being a lady she got immediate help. She was helped to stand up and her baggage was picked up by another person.

Someone asked her if she did not notice the suitcase in front of her. She cordially with a bold conviction said, “Not to mention the suitcase, I can not see anything. I am totally blind. The Latur earthquake that snatched my entire family also took away my vision.” I was shell shocked. The shiver that occurred in me seemed virtually greater than the one at Latur. She so boldly accepted a situation I was always thinking to suppress. She was not at all embarrassed at this situation. On being asked how she will travel for home, she said that her husband will be at the station. As everything proceeded further with the usual hurry, Sheela got up and said to me, “Sir, you can come before me.” With the customary way I replied, “No, Ladies first.” I went behind Sheela so that she can be my guide to the door of the compartment. At the exit I heard a male voice to which Sheela responded warmly. I made out from the conversation that the person was her husband. I just stepped out of the train and heard her husband saying, “How did this dirt get on the dress? Did anything happen to you?” She smartly replied in the affirmative. As they went away their voice faded away slowly but the incident will never fade from my memory till death.
So there are many ways to hide ones own weakness - strengthen others or keep oneself aloof from the mainstream. Sheela took the better way out. She showed me the light of a persons’ inner belief. I remember some lines from my personal diary truly befitting her…
Little do I know?
What is there in you?
Very less I have seen,
Of what you could have been.
You gave all that you can,
As support for a needy man.
You filled society’s need,
In every urge, every bid.
If ever your path by trouble sway,
I will tell it to go the other way.


Prasenjit©1997-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment